While you will have the opportunity to work on overhead doors in either our Commercial or Residential Departments, there are a few differences:
- Commercial: Install and service 9 different products in our Commercial Department, including sectional doors, rolling steel and fire doors, dock equipment, entry doors, gate operators, high speed doors, among other products. Our customers are all the major and leading companies in Michiana. Our training program is structured as an apprenticeship and new hires will accompany a Lead Technician for several years as you learn the trade. You will get extensive experience in electrical, welding, fabricating, and construction areas.
- Residential: Install and service garage doors at customer’s homes in our Residential Department. As the product is not as complicated, our training program is approximately 3-6 months. Technicians must possess fantastic customer service skills to succeed. To truly succeed, candidates must have superior communication skills, problem-solving and troubleshooting skills, and the ability to work well under pressure.
The Field Technician is the primary service and/or installation provider for commercial/industrial/residential doors and door opening systems, gate opening systems, and dock leveling systems. Technicians travel to private residences and/or commercial job sites and businesses in a company provided vehicle and are trained on how to install and/or repair various types of garage doors, operators, accessories, and other related equipment while on the job!
The Overhead Door Company provides:
- Industry-leading pay.
- Health insurance benefits after the first 90 days, and 401(k) after the first year.
- Paid vacations and holidays.
- A healthy and safe work environment. We provide on-site wellness screenings and regularly perform random drug tests of all employees.
- Uniforms and most tools.
- A positive work environment with teamwork and 40 hours or more of training a year.
- A lifelong career, rather than a job.
- Opportunities for advancement.
- Provide annual/preventative maintenance and safety testing on all products.
- Prepare new and existing job sites for the installation of new equipment.
- Complete all required paperwork, such as work orders, according to the services performed.
- Troubleshoot and diagnose any repairs/replacements needed on existing equipment.
- Remove existing equipment and install new equipment.
- Engage with customers with a friendly and knowledgeable manner.
- High School diploma.
- Must possess a current valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to lift up to 80 pounds and carry for a distance of up to 50 feet.
- Must be able to work from heights of up to 40 feet.
- Must be able to work in extreme heat and cold.
Some previous work-related skills, knowledge, or experience may be helpful, but willing to train the right candidate. New technicians will have up to two years of training with a skilled and experienced technician to learn the process and enhance their skills.
- Hard-working and self-starting. They have no problem showing up to work on time and aren’t satisfied until the job is done right.
- Mechanically or electrically inclined. They might like to work on their car or tinker around the house as a hobby. Perhaps they like solving problems and fixing things.
- Customer-friendly. They understand that happy customers provide everyone’s paycheck, so they act in a professional manner.
- Take the initiative and like a challenge. They realize that there always isn’t an instruction booklet to guide them. They often have to figure out how to get a job done right and on time with surprises along the way.
- Enjoy a variety of work and can work independently. They often don’t like being constrained in a factory, and appreciate the independence of being their own boss out on the road.
- Appreciate working in the elements and climbing ladders. They don’t like to be confined indoors and enjoy being outside rain or shine.
- Strong. Are physically able to perform work above their head and lift at least 50 pounds.
Legal Disclaimer: Overhead Door Company is an EOE.